The most popular cryptocurrency, bitcoin (BTC) hit USD 50,000 three times in less than 24 hours and on the third attempt it surpassed USD 51,000 before correcting lower. (Updated at 08:50 UTC with the latest market data.)
At the time of writing (08:50 UTC), BTC trades at USD 50,988, correcting from its new all-time high of USD 51,221, per Coingecko.com data. The price is up by 4% in a day and 9% in a week. It increased its monthly gains to 42% and rallied by 413% in a year.
BTC price chart:
This morning, ethereum (ETH), altcoins have also started moving higher, trimming their daily losses.
“There are a number of reasons why bitcoin is soaring, but what stands out most is the trend that MicroStrategy started and Tesla popularized: moving institutional balance sheets into bitcoin to hedge against inflation,” Nicholas Pelecanos, Head of Trading at NEM, said in an emailed comment.
According to him, this is just the start of a trend that could see billions of dollars flow into the crypto space over the course of 2021 — all at a time when the supply is becoming extremely squeezed.
“The total amount of bitcoin on exchanges has reduced by a third-year on year, which means the upside moves will continue to be aggressive. USD 50,000 is euphoric, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the price doubled again within a year,” Pelecanos said.
Meanwhile, Rob Levy, Co-founder and President of Hxro, a crypto derivatives trading platform, this bull market is different.
“This is not a speculative, retail-driven mania. On the contrary, this is very much institutionally driven. It is no coincidence that it comes on a day that MicroStrategy announces another USD 600m debt offering which will be used to buy more bitcoin. True institutional adoption is accelerating at a remarkable place. That is more important than arbitrary price levels in USD,” he said.
A Wall Street bear discusses stocks and BTC:
#bitcoin looks primed to make a big break above $50k, once it clears, it will likely test and break $60k quickly. W… https://t.co/IxKnXpedvw
Later this year when bitcoin crashes from $280,000 to $90,000, all the haters will once again declare victory
– A Wave of Giants Rushing to Invest in Bitcoin Could Derail the Stock Market
– Tesla’s Bitcoin Buy Comes As Earlier Large Investors Retreat
– PayPal Touts Crypto For Its ‘Super App,’ But It Won’t Buy Bitcoin Just Yet
– India’s Crypto Community Fights Back As Ban Bill Turns Into Tiresome Soap Opera
– Analysts Deconstruct Bitcoin vs. Ethereum Debate As Alts Outperform
– The G7 Taxman Is Coming for Your Crypto Profits
– 1,400+ Firms Flock To Learn About Bitcoin, But ‘There Is No Playbook’
– Bitcoin Snowball Is Expected To Hit More Institutions in 2021
– Bridgewater’s Ray Dalio Sends Stronger Bitcoin Signal
– Sovereigns Will ‘For Sure’ Fight Against Private Crypto – Paul Tudor Jones
– Not Only Bitcoin Price Is Changing During This Bull Run
(Updated at 08:04 UTC with the infographics and reactions. Updated at 08:34 UTC with a video.)