New Zealand Dollar Technical Price Outlook: NZD/USD Weekly Trade Levels
- New Zealand Dollarupdated technical trade levels – Weekly Chart
- NZD/USD recovery targets key pivot / resistance zone – risk for near-term exhaustion
- Resistance 6898-6941 (key), 7020 – support 6772, 6702/33 (key)
The New Zealand Dollar surged more than 1.5% against the US Dollar this week with NZD/USD defending a key support zone tested into the close of trade last year. The focus is on a range of resistance just higher with the immediate advance vulnerable into the 69-handle. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the NZD/USD weekly price chart. Review my latest Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this Kiwitrade setup and more.
New Zealand Dollar Price Chart – NZD/USD Weekly
Chart Prepared by Michael Boutros, Technical Strategist; NZD/USD on Tradingview
Notes: The New Zealand Dollar rebounded off confluent support into the close of the year at 6702/33– a region defined by the 38.2% Fibonacciretracement of the broader 2020 advance and the 2020- yearly open. This level was tested once again into the start of the year before rebounding higher with Kiwi now approaching weekly resistance at the 38.2% retracement of the October sell-off / 2019 swing high at 6898-6941. We’re looking for possible inflection on stretch into this zone IF reached for guidance.
A topside breach / close above would suggest a larger correction may be underway with such a scenario exposing subsequent resistance objectives at the 61.8% retracement at 7020 with the 52-week moving average just higher at 7048– both areas of interest for possible topside exhaustion IF reached. Ultimately, a break below the 2021 lows is needed to threaten resumption of the broader downtrend towards the lower parallel (currently ~6660s) and the 100% extension of the 2021 decline at 6559.
Bottom line: The New-Zealand Dollar recovery off downtrend support is approaching an inflection range around the 69-handle. From a trading standpoint, a good zone to reduce long-exposure / raise protective stops – be on the lookout for possible exhaustion up here. Losses should be limited to this week’s open at 6772 IF price is indeed heading higher with a topside breach needed to suggest a more significant lows was registered last month. I’ll publish an updated New Zealand Dollar Price Outlook once we get further clarity on the near-term Kiwi technical trade levels.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
New Zealand Dollar Trader Sentiment – NZD/USD Price Chart
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long NZD/USD – the ratio stands at +1.79 (64.13% of traders are long) – typically bearish reading
- Long positions are 1.56% lower than yesterday and 5.72% lower from last week
- Short positions are 2.75% lower than yesterday and 2.42% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests NZD/USD prices may continue to fall. Traders are more net-long than yesterday but less net-long from last week. The combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a further mixed NZD/USD trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
Key New Zealand / US Economic Releases
Economic Calendar – latest economic developments and upcoming event risk.
Previous Weekly Technical Charts
— Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
element inside the element. This is probably not what you meant to do!
Originally Posted on: https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/technical/home/analysis/nzd-usd/2022/01/13/New-Zealand-Dollar-Technical-Forecast-NZD-USD-Rally-Faces-First-Test-Kiwi-Outlook-MBTS1.html
By: Michael Boutros